Friday, June 10, 2011

Excel

Excel Grade book makes life easy! Using excel will be useful in my own teaching because it can allow me to easily input students scores and have the program manipulate the numbers for what is needed. For example, if I want to find the mean or mode of a particular set of tests, I can easily create a formula that tells me just that.

Excel is also useful with other colleagues and teachers because I can easily share students' scores. If students go to another room for a particular lesson or subject all the teachers can input their scores into a google doc excel spreadsheet and then be able to view how a particular student is or group of students are doing in all subject areas.

This tool addresses the teaching standard: Model Digital-Age work and learning by creating a medium for teachers to digitize students scores so that they can be easily updated and shared. Rather than inconveniencing teachers to email each other back and forth about a particular students' scores teachers can just log on at their convenience.

I can also see an excel spreadsheet working well to help organize classroom volunteers. I can set up a calendar and parents can fill slots of time to volunteer.

This tool addresses the teaching standard: Model Digital-Age Work and Learning by ending the practice of entering scores by hand into a grade book and/or calling on the phone or emailing back and forth to arrange classroom volunteers.

Excel Gradebook


No comments:

Post a Comment