Friday, May 27, 2011

Social Networking in the Classroom

Social Networking does offer a way to engage with teachers, parents, and students, however, I don't think there is a place for it at this time in an educational setting K-12. As mentioned in class, it can serve as a tool to post notes, assignments, display work, share pictures from class and field trips, but it can also breed inappropriate relationships or unfair biases. With that said, there are always exceptions. If a teacher thinks social networking sites are the only or best way to reach their community, then I think they should use that media. However, I would encourage any teacher who chooses facebook over a blog or traditional website to use a facebook page designed for class only and not intermix it with too much personal information. I would strongly caution teachers against using social networking sites as a tool to "friend" students. When I was a snotty teenager, I ask my mom why she couldn't be my friend like my friend's mom was to her. She responded with "because I'm not your friend, I'm your mother." I didn't understand her at the time, but she was right. She wasn't my friend and she shouldn't have been. I didn't have the emotional capacity or maturity to be her friend at that time. I think the teacher-student relationship should be similar. Children, as well as, students should not feel they are equals with their parents and teachers. I think as a teacher or student you need to evaluate and assess each other with some emotional distance. If you are "friends", I think it's hard not to have bias towards each other that would effect your evaluation of each other. In the case of a teacher if might also effect your evaluation of other students. Further, if a student thinks they are "friends" with their teacher and then receive a low grade from them they might take it more personally than they would have if they only thought of their teacher as their teacher.  Not to mention, social networking sites might allow students access to a teachers' personal life that could effect relationships with other students, parents, and/or the school. It human nature to make judgements about other people based on their likes or dislikes, something we disclose to people as we get to know them and feel comfortable sharing. If all becomes visible for someone who doesn't really know you well it could lead to unfair bias about your teaching ability. Some teachers might be totally comfortable with their private life becoming public, but I think most do not and others would soon find that they also do not like their private life becoming public. Overall, I would use facebook or other social networking sites with caution at this time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,
    Great post. I agree 100%- no "friending" students! There's no place for it and it can lead to knowledge you don't want to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- You bring up so many great points, however, I would only allow my daughter to have a FB if she befriended me. I have taught her the importance of what to say and what not to say over a public forum. I have also never posted on her wall. I especially liked your comment about a student thinking they may get a different or better grade if they were your friend. I could never friend a student of mine -it just doesn't make sense. There needs to be a professional line that doesn't get crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many negatives when it comes to using social networking sites with your students. I believe if we create the proper group to join and avoid posting information about ourselves that our students may in fact come across, it would be much more beneficial.

    ReplyDelete